Have you noticed dark patches on your teeth that ruin the aesthetics of your beautiful smile? In all likelihood, these are tartar deposits composed of thousands of microbes. Despite brushing and flossing our teeth thoroughly, we may end up having tartar deposits near the gum line or at the intersection of two teeth, especially in the lower front area of the teeth. If not removed at regular intervals, they can erode the enamel, cause gum recession, cavities, and even lead to gum infection and diseases.
So What is the solution?
You should visit your dentist for routine cleanings and evaluations, the first and foremost thing the dentist will do is visually and radiographically examine your teeth and check for tartar deposits. We will assess what type of cleaning is needed. We will be removing tartar using a simple hand-held scaling tool. Previously, dentists used a hook-like scaling tool to remove tartar. But, the advancements in dental technology have brought about a new device for the process, called the ultrasonic scaling device; very gentle on the gums and the teeth.
The device has a metal tip that vibrates at ultrasonic frequencies. The dentist uses it to dislodge the tartar from the teeth meticulously, and a jet of water is combined with it to wash off the removed debris. The process is painless and can be completed in a short span of time.
What are the advantages of dental prophylaxis?
- Removing plaque layers off the teeth so you can see your tooth color
- The teeth will look whiter, allowing you to sport a more confident smile.
- Removing the microbes from the teeth’ surfaces keeps them from developing cavities.
- Since tartar is one of the most prominent causes of gum diseases, removing it provides significant relief from gum diseases such as gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Patients usually have a fresher breath after getting oral prophylaxis.
- Decrease bacterial load in the mouth
To have a consultation with Dr. Ziadat and his associates, please schedule an online appointment or call us at (480) 345-7413, and we will be happy to help.