Replacing missing teeth is not something anyone wants to worry about. Most of us do our best to avoid tooth loss. We follow the recommended oral health routine and try to maintain healthy eating habits.
Unfortunately, millions of Americans will have to look into the options of replacing a tooth. You may be diagnosed with gum disease, overcrowding, or maybe some facial trauma has caused your tooth loss. No matter the reason, there are options available to solve the problem.
It would help if you always were sure to visit your dentist regularly because when something as serious as needing a tooth replaced comes up, you want to feel comfortable talking to someone. It is never easy to go to a new dentist when you have a dental emergency.
What options are available to replace a missing tooth?
There are three options a dentist will recommend when discussing how to replace your missing teeth and regain your confidence. You need to show your smile to the world and make an excellent first impression. Your appearance gives you the confidence you need to show your best self.
- Dental implants – This is the most secure and stable way to replace missing teeth. This is a surgical procedure that involves implanting a titanium post directly into the jawbone. A replacement tooth is made and mounted onto the implant to keep the tooth in place.
- Fixed dental bridge – This option bridges the gap a missing tooth leaves behind. A prosthetic is attached to adjacent teeth, and then it is bonded using cement to hold in place. This option is common when replacing missing teeth in a row on one side of the mouth.
- partial dentures – This type of denture consists of using a replacement tooth or teeth attached to a natural-looking gum-colored base. Once fitted for your mouth, the dentist places the denture into the gap to make sure it fits. Your remaining teeth on both sides of the partial denture hold the removable plastic base in place. In some cases, the denture will have clips to hold it in place.
How to prevent losing teeth
You want to maintain an excellent oral health routine to keep your original teeth for as long as possible.
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Floss daily and in between meals when possible
- Use recommended mouthwash
- Never use your teeth as tools to open things
- Don’t chew tobacco or smoke
Establishing a regular oral hygiene routine and eating a diet of healthy foods that provide vitamins, protein and calcium will help ensure you have your original teeth for a long time.
If you ever do need teeth replacement due to any reason, seek treatment immediately to prevent future issues. There is no need to go through life missing teeth with all the available options we have today.
Your dentist will work with you throughout the entire process and answer any questions you have. They are the best advisor for your specific situation and will recommend the best option for replacing missing teeth.
Request an appointment or call Desert Breeze Dentistry at (480) 864-4118 for an appointment in our Tempe office.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Options For Replacing Missing Teeth in Tempe, AZ.